The USC Stevens Center is a university-wide resource in the office of the Provost whose mission is to help the USC community make maximum impact with their ideas. The center identifies and supports USC faculty and students, to better help launch their ideas into products, services, and organizations that serve societal and business needs. As part of this role, the center manages the university’s intellectual property portfolio stemming from its $600M in research expenditures annually. Since its launch five years ago, the USC Stevens Center has been creating dynamic interface between USC research and the community of entrepreneurs, investors, and corporate partners and has been nurturing a robust local innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem for students and faculty.
USC Stevens has also begun to create an impressive range of innovation programs that have touched students and faculty in USC’s College and 17 professional schools. Programs include the Ideas Empowered mentoring and funding program; the USC Coulter Translational Research Partnership Program; the annual USC Student Innovator Showcase and Competition; TEDxUSC; the annual First Look LA investor event in collaboration with Caltech and UCLA; and Social Innovation Fast Pitch. These programs, which are supported by a highly effective communications team, have helped advance an already strong culture of innovation and entrepreneurship on campus.
The USC Stevens Center for Innovation is always looking for enthusiastic, passionate and innovative talent to join our dedicated team.
Licensing Specialist, Engineering/Physical Science
Requisiton ID: 019875
Division/School: Office of Research
Department: USC Stevens Center for Innovation
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Employment Type: Full-Time
Salary Range: DOE
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the "Trojan Family," which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university what it is.
The USC Stevens Center for Innovation seeks outstanding candidates for the position of Licensing Specialist in engineering and physical sciences.
The USC Stevens Center is a university-wide resource in the office of the Provost whose mission is to help USC innovators make maximum impact with their ideas. As part of this role, the USC Stevens Center manages the university's intellectual property portfolio stemming from USC's approximately $540 million in annual research expenditures, and manages related patenting, technology marketing, licensing, and new venture development activity aimed at transitioning university innovations into commercial applications for the benefit of society. Licensing Specialists play a key role in supporting these efforts.
The best candidates will have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, a passion for emerging technologies, very strong organization and communication skills, and a desire to learn and grow. Prior licensing and/or technology assessment experience is preferred but not required. This position provides an opportunity for an entrepreneurial-minded engineering graduate to play an active and critical role as new technologies go from idea to market. This opportunity will allow you to contribute to new approaches in innovation management and licensing within an already bold and forward-thinking academic institution!
In this role you will manage a portfolio of University-owned engineering and physical sciences inventions and support intellectual property development, protection, marketing and licensing. You will interact with faculty and researchers and learn about exciting new technologies in the areas of electronics, telecommunications technologies, computing and big data analytics, energy, nanotechnology and advanced materials. Specifically, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Assisting with the assessment of inventions and identification of commercial applications through research and analysis of markets, competitive technologies, prior art, and patent landscape.
- Manage a portfolio of university inventions.
- Identify potential commercial applications and business partners for university inventions. Market university inventions through multiple channels to prospects capable of bringing the inventions to market.
- Negotiate and complete non-complex licenses and related agreements, including development of business terms and overseeing internal diligence procedures prior to agreement signing.
- Assist in the management of complex intellectual property portfolios;
- Coordinate efforts on a wide range of activities with other USC Stevens staff members, university researchers, business partners, law firms, and others; tracking activities in databases and ensuring that information is up to date.
- Train and supervise interns
- Contribute to ongoing process improvement to enable the USC Stevens Center to deliver high quality, professional service to a growing base of inventors and business partners.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 1 year
Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
Minimum Field of Expertise: Strong computer skills, familiarity with science and engineering principles, and some market research experience required.
Preferred Education: Bachelor's Degree in the Physical or Computer Sciences fields.
Preferred Experience: 2 years
Preferred Field of Expertise:
- Sales and marketing experience.
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Abiity to gather information and perform research utilizing databases and other online sources.
- Experience directly relevant to evaluating the market potential of early-stage inventions in engineering/physical sciences industries, and identifying commercial potential.
- Understanding of the patent prosecution process.
- Familiarity with the business terms of agreements.
- Prior corporate or university technology transfer and business development experience.
Position Type: New